In honour of our new travel adventure, here is a recipe for a drink that is perfect for sipping on the beach or at the pool. We discovered this during our first trip to Costa Rica but it is actually Brazil’s national cocktail. Make a big pitcher, stick it in the fridge and enjoy.
- 1 lime (for juicing) and then add to the glass
- 3/4 to 1 ounce simple syrup
- 1-1/4 ounces ounces Cachaca (Brazilian rum made with sugar cane)
- 2 ounces club soda
- crushed ice
Simple syrup is one part sugar to one part water. Either heat over the stove or add water from a kettle and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Squeeze the lime juice into a glass, cut the lime into quarters and add to the glass
- add the simple syrup and muddle the lime and syrup together
- add crushed ice
- add cachaca and top with club soda
- garnish with a slice of lime, or a sprig of mint or those pretty drink umbrellas