Beans and rice are staples of Costa Rica and they are included in almost all the menus around town. We picked some up at the grocery store as we have a favorite black bean salad and I will eat rice just about every day except those days when we’re having pasta. Just kidding…..even though John thinks that’s true. So John is helping out and decides to get the beans ready by soaking them in cold water first. He puts the entire bag 900 gm into a pot, covers with water and leaves them to soak “y luego” (and then) we have beans, beans and more beans. So we are going to have to create a number of new recipes to use them up. Here is the salad that we enjoy on the hot days. It’s nice and refreshing and good for you too cause you can never have enough beans.
Black Bean Salad
- 2 cups black beans (either dried and soaked or from a can)
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 roasted red pepper, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, fresh or canned
- dash of hot sauce, optional
- 2 cobs of corn (that have been roasted or boiled and shucked)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- juice of 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
Mix the contents and let sit for an hour or so to allow the flavour to meld before serving.
This is a great refreshing salad to go with fish, chicken etc.